Benefits to 2-1-1 Users
- One call gives you access to resources across your community. 2-1-1 is efficient, fast and easy to use.
- No more wrong numbers; no more wasted time trying to find the right resource(s).
- 2-1-1 is a confidential call; most often the name of the caller is not even taken.
- 2-1-1 maintains the integrity of the 9-1-1 system; saving that vital community resource for life and death emergencies.
- 24-hour/7 day a week availability; 2-1-1 is always there for you.
- 2-1-1 is an easy way to find or give help in your community.
- 2-1-1 strengthens your community by uniting the people in your area who want to help with those who need help.
- There are almost 900,000 non-profit organizations in the United States plus scores of government agencies. People looking for assistance have trouble navigating a complicated web of health and human service programs. Likewise, people who want to help often do not know where to begin.
- 2-1-1 is a useful planning tool. Based on aggregate data about the types of calls that the 2-1-1 Center receives, communities are in a better position to anticipate demand for services and mobilize resources to meet changing needs.
- 2-1-1 touches the lives of every person in the community, and whether you are in a situation where you need help or find yourself later in a situation to give help, 2-1-1 is always there for you.
Benefits as Crisis Tool
- 2-1-1 is a critical information system, which is necessary prior to, during and after a community crisis such as an attack, flood, fire, or other local or national tragedy. Prior to a community crisis, it is critical that an information system is in place that will respond to the crisis at a moment's notice.
- 2-1-1 responds immediately during times of crisis, to field calls regarding the crisis and to direct callers to services most appropriate for their needs.
- Once 2-1-1 is implemented, it maintains a permanent presence in the community. As a result, people can find the help they need whether their needs arise a week or several years after the crisis event.
Cost Savings of 2-1-1
The benefits of 2-1-1 systems increase over time, as new, innovative uses are employed for the number. For example, Connecticut's 2-1-1 system manages the State of Connecticut's QuitLine, a tobacco use cessation hotline. To do this they hired one program manager and trained 2-1-1 call specialists on how to handle QuitLine specific calls. It is estimated that without the 2-1-1 partnership the QuitLine would have needed to establish a call center and hire five to seven people to handle the calls.
- United Way of America estimates that a fully realized 2-1-1 system that meets national standards will cost approximately $1.00 - $1.50 per capita.
- The University of Nebraska's Public Policy Center estimates that a fully realized 2-1-1 system in Nebraska will bring $7.4 million in benefits to the state of Nebraska with a population of 1.7 million.